Sunday, 26 April 2015

Rejected Basketball App ready for NBA Playoffs

Here's the latest update of  the Rejected Basketball App. After spending some time developing and learning Unity 5 I've finally got in some physics to make the game work. I'm quite impressed with the ability to export to multiple platforms and I've now tested on both iPhone and Android.


So far I've built some sprites, used the splicer got in a backboard and a ring, tracking for the ball going through the hoop for scoring. I've got in colliders for counting blocks made by the player and the jumping of the main character. I got in some basic animations for the basketball, the main character sprite, the net for the ball swishing through.

If you see the screenshot of the game above, its coming together, but I would like to bring the crowd alive. My next post I'll share how I'm going to do this.

Next up I'm going to revamp all the graphics. Which is becoming more important as I start to promote the Rejected App. Check out the Facebook Page.

If you have any suggestions, just let me know.

Saturday, 11 April 2015

Unity 5 Experimentation - Sariodev

I spent around 10 minutes playing with Unity 5 and just using some in built models I've managed to apply some 2D physics and make a plane jump up and down whilst a car jumps towards it.

video


This was just step one to try and manipulate a couple things. Next step is to build all the graphics for the game so that I can import them to the project. For some initial vector based graphics I'm using Visio and then to clean it up, particularly for the game background I will be using GIMP. The idea is to use very basic graphics to fit this 2D style game to appeal to casual gamers. The app is not going to be your typical basketball app. Here's a sneak peek into some of the concept art.



As I build this game I will continue to share my game development progress and who knows, maybe I can have a beta out relatively quickly.


Wednesday, 8 April 2015

Building Mobile Apps with Unity 5

The next addition to the SarioDev Apps suite is coming soon and this time, this app will have a game engine behind it to bring a better game experience.

After learning mobile development in iOS, Android and Windows it's come to a point where time consumption becomes more and more prevalent. In this case I need a solution with one code base that is compatible with all the platforms I want to target.

So enter Unity 5. I decided on Unity 5 because of 3 simple reasons; firstly, it's currently free! (Unless I make over $100k with app in fiscal year - here's hoping), next it can deploy to all platforms and lastly I can develop in C#.

I've started learning with the following tutorial titled "cloney bird" - which I've found very useful.

I'll be updating here with some graphics and progress. If I use any other tutorials I'll include it as well.

For the curious, if you've made it this far, the next app will be titled "Shot Blocker" and will be initially available on Android.